Which scanner to chose?

Fragen/Themen aus den Gebieten Scannen, Bildbearbeitung, Farbmanagement etc.
Forumsregeln
In diesem Forum dürfen keine Beiträge mit gewerblichen Angeboten, privaten Verkaufsangeboten oder Links zu gewerblichen Seiten eingestellt werden.
Antworten
fischelbyxa

Which scanner to chose?

Beitrag von fischelbyxa »

My German is too poor for me to search through earlier threads, so please forgive me if there are tonnes of replies to this question before!

I need a scanner, but I don't know which to chose. I don't even know if there's anyone that fits my bill.

My requirements are:
  • - Negatives and Dias
  • - 135 and 120 films (only negative 120 films)
  • - Small form factor (have no room for A4 sized flat bed scanners)
  • - Not too pricey (< €1000)
  • - Prefer Linux, but Mac/Win could do
Thanks,
  • fischelbyxa
---
Mats Löfström
Joe
Re: Which scanner to chose?

Beitrag von Joe »

How many slides and negative do you have to scan?

Or do you mean 135 Slide Films a 35 Slides etc.?
fischelbyxa

Beitrag von fischelbyxa »

I'm in the process of scanning all my films since when I was a kid, as well as all my wife's films. And since we're both 50+, there are a lot of images to scan. I have also got a lot of slides from my father.

My guess is that we have
  • - 5'000 - 8'000 135 film negatives, in strips of 4 - 6 images
  • - 3'500 - 4'500 135 slides
  • - 2'000 - 3'000 126 film negatives, in strips of 4 images
One requirement that I forgot to mention earlier, it that I have a large number of slides that are fairly thick (3 mm).
  • fischelbyxa
---
Mats Löfström
Joe

Beitrag von Joe »

If you would have only one Scanner the Canon CanoScan 8800F would be a good choice. But that is a A4 flatbed Scanner.

The only other solution is to use two scanners:

- Reflecta RPS 7200 or ProScan 7200 for the Negative
- Reflecta DigitDia 5000 for the slides (but this one is nearly as big as a flatbed scanner).

But the 3mm slides could be a problem with the DigitDia - so I suggest to try this before you buy. (with the 8800F this is no problem).

For that amount of negative and slides you need a scanner which allows to scan them automatic or like the 8800F a few in one process. (8800F up to 12 negative or 4 slides).

To use a scanner which can only handle one negative or slide will be frustrating after about 100 scans.

I think there is no slides scanner who can do that which is much smaller than A4.

You will find some scanner test from me on my website http://www.jostark.de - but all in German.
Antworten