Reflecta RPS 7200 + Silverfast (auch Instamatic 126)

Fragen/Themen zu Reflecta-Filmscannern
Forumsregeln
In diesem Forum dürfen keine Beiträge mit gewerblichen Angeboten, privaten Verkaufsangeboten oder Links zu gewerblichen Seiten eingestellt werden.
Antworten
Antonio

Reflecta RPS 7200 + Silverfast (auch Instamatic 126)

Beitrag von Antonio »

Hallo und Grüße an allen!

(Ich kann Deutsch ohne Probleme lesen, aber nicht so gut schreiben, dafür präsentiere ich meine Fragen auf Englisch. Bitte entschuldigen Sie es und auf Deutsch beantworten, wenn Sie beantworten willen.)

I have got myself a Reflecta RPS 7200 with its Silverfast version, and I'm trying to understand all the options the program has. I have found some tutorials but none that would explain the _best_ way to do what I want.

I have a lot of negatives. I plan to scan them all. I want to do it in batch mode, and all I want is to have the automatic corrections (film type, focus, exposure?, sharpening?, colour balance?, plus ICE, ROC, GEM - but not multiexposure if it takes much time). At this stage I won't consider inidivudal images. I plan to scan them with 3600 dpi and store them in LZW Tiff.

(Later on, for some more important pictures, I may do another scan with finer adjustments.)

(As I got the Silverfast archive suite, I understand I can do most of the corrections separately later on. That is what I'll do, but first I want to understand the 'normal' workflow.)

Now, Silverfast presents me with a lot of options I don't understand. Q-factor? Why does the dpi slider default to 152? How to choose the sharpening filter? These are examples of the things I find confusing. The dpi slider only jumps between some preset values, but you can enter others manually - e.g. 4000. Will 4000 dpi with the Reflecta RPS 7200 make any sense? How can I know which dpi values the scanner accepts?

I know how to indicate the film type, the output type and the dpi (at least I think it's with the dpi slider, but the Q-factor thing makes me doubt it). I know how to turn ICE on on the right panel, but I can't tell if it's really used. I know nothing about ROC/GEM, I don't know about AACD, and I'm not sure if just selecting these options is enough to do what I want or if there are other settings somewhere that I should be changing. I also don't understand what is the scan button in the scanner for, since the software seems to disable it (and without software one can't scan - but maybe this is because I was trying the Mac version of the software - I'll use Windows later on, but at the moment for my experiments I had to use a Mac).

If someone could explain it to me or point me to a good tutorial or previous dicussions, it would be wonderful.

Now for the other issue. Instamatic. I also have many instamatic 126 negatives. It's the ones that are 35mm in height, with 28x28 frames. As has been discussed, most 35mm scanners only have a 24-25mm window, so they are simply unable to get all the 28mm height. Well, I can live with that. I can have 28x24 pictures. It's not perfect, but it's good enough. For some specific pictures, I may try to find a way to get to the lost 4mm. But generally speaking, I'll take the 28x24.

My problems are different. It's not the height but the width. Silverfast and the Reflecta RPS 7200 seem to be expecting frames with 36mm width. I don't know how I can tell the software and/or scanner to recognise frames with only 28mm. I see that the hardware has the ability to move the film by small amounts, because using the offset compensation button on the preview pane I am able to move the entire strip from start to end. But I can't seem to get it to understand that each frame starts only about 30mm after the beginning of the previous one (28mm plus the spce between them). That is, I would like to have it scan the first frame, advance 30mm, scan the second, and so on. I know the hardware can do it, but I fear the software may be unable to tell it to do it automatically (I can do it manually, but that would be tiresome, expect maybe if it can be done once and stored in a job?).

I have others questions regarding film cleaning/restoration/preservation, but I'll post them in another section. I'm sorry to have mixed all these matters in this one, but they were too entwined from me to separate them.

Vielen Dank,
Antonio
Antworten